Sam Benowitz’s Top 12 Apples
1. Akane: Disease resistant and produces a good crop each year even when others fail.
2. Pristine: Disease resistant productive, beautiful yellow color early season.
3. Williams Pride: Scab resistant, Earliest good flavor very productive, long lived blooms, good pollenizer. Can get mildew in some situations.
4. Liberty: Disease resistant, good Mac flavor, pretty apple, rates highest on Jo Robinson’s list of most nutritious. Can overbear and be small.
5. Dayton: Big red, productive, disease resistant mid season apple.
6. Belmac: Excellent keeper, beautiful dark red, big apple, great flavor, Mac family, disease resistant.
7. Bramley: Disease resistant, big apples great cooking apple
8. Ashmeads Kernal: Somewhat disease resistant russet apple, very productive and flavorful
9. Cherry Cox: A productive Cox’s Orange flavored apple, that is disease resistant and productive.
10. Karmijn de Sonnaville: Not as disease resistant but has the finest complex flavor of all.
11. Centennial: Very productive naturally dwarfed tree with small delicious apples. Disease resistant. Perfect size apples for children.
12. Belle de Boskoop: A great keeper apple, large fruit and not too bad on disease.